Welcome to Source of Steel - The Heavy Metal Museum. For the metal head who likes to own or collect physical CDs, Source of Steel is my website dedicated to the love of physical metal on shiny plastic discs. Micro-reviews, thoughts, pics of my own collection and random utterances galore. The site started out purely as a way of sharing my rarities to like-minded fans, but now (for longevity's sake more than anything) it is open to new physical metal music bits I've picked up, including new releases and other random shit.

Spiral Architect - A Sceptic's Universe


One of my all time favourite albums here, it took me completely by surprise on release (I also have the standard EU version with blue artwork on Sensory Records). This is the Japanese version licenced through Avalon, which comes with a bonus track 'Prelude to Ruin' (a Fates Warning cover). Still in it's cellophane with stickers as it only arrived a couple of days ago! For those who are unaware of the band, they are the absolute epitome of crazy-assed, manic prog metal. If the likes of Watchtower are a bit much for you, give these guys an even wider berth :). Roaming, technical basslines, crazy rhythmic structures, falsetto vocals - all churning and twisting over the top of each other like tectonic plates made of snakes. I can't fawn over this album enough, it's absolutely fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment